Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Tortilla Soup
Don’t let anybody tell you that soup can’t be gluten free, vegan AND delicious. This healthy bowl of warmth gives you another reason to use your Dutch oven and show off your cooking chops. You’ll be winning all winter long.
Prep time: 1 hour
Can be frozen
- 6 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes and their juice
- 1 cup brown lentils or Pardina lentils
- 1 butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Baked tortilla strips, to serve
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven set over a medium heat until hot.
- Add butternut squash and a pinch of salt, sweating until softened, about 7–8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle over spices and red pepper flakes, continuing to cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in diced tomatoes (and their juice), broth and lentils. Bring to a boil and cook steadily for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until lentils are tender to the bite, about 30 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve from Dutch oven with lime wedges and baked tortilla strips as a garnish.